- Campus Offices
- Continuing Medical Education
- Degree Programs
- Education Resources
- Indians Into Medicine
- Interprofessional Education
- Seven Generations Center of Excellence in Native Behavioral Health
- Residency Programs
- Areas of Research
- Grant Resources
- Research Experience for Medical Students (REMS)
- Research Centers
- Clinical Centers
- Service Centers
- Center for Rural Health
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Center
- Mobile Simulation (SIM-ND)
- National Indigenous Elder Justice Initiative
- National Resource Center on Native American Aging
- North Dakota Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
- North Dakota Tobacco Quitline
- Rural Health Information Hub (RHIhub)
- Rural Surgery Support Program
- Simulation Center (ND STAR)
- New Building
- About Us
- What is Histotechnology?
- Mission and Philosophy
- Career Entry Description
- Essential Functions
- Admission Requirements
- Program Affiliates
- Forms and Handbook
Serving Students, Histology Laboratories, and the HT Profession
About the UND Histotechnician Program
The Histotechnician program (HT) is an educational program in the Department of Medical Laboratory Science at the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences. This two or three semester online/distance certificate program offers professional training in a vital medical field. Students who are intrigued by science and interested in a career in the health care, but do not want to invest the significant resources to complete a degree are a fit for this HT program. Upon successful completion of this program, students earn a certificate of completion.
UND Histotechnology At A Glance
Online distance education, from established clinical affiliate. Entire curriculum is performed at the clinical site.
- PROGRAM LENGTH: Approximately 9 Months
- START DATE: January, May, or August
- TUITION/FEES: Approximately $7,200 Resident & Non-Resident (split over 2 semesters)
- PROGRAM TYPE: 19 Semester Credit Certificate
- EARNING POWER: $35,000-45,000 in the Midwest
Why do students like UND?
- Flexible On-Demand Distance Education
- Flat Rate Tuition
- Work in the field while gaining professional skills
- 98% ASCP BOC Pass Rate
- Career Advancement
- Easy to Use Software (Adobe, Blackboard, Microsoft Office)
- Students have the advantage of learning in the environment they will work.
“The UND on-line histology program is absolutely amazing. It is such an incredibly flexible program that I was able to work around a full-time job, family, and a special needs child. Any and all questions were answered in a timely manner, and the material was well presented. It truly enhanced my 17-year career as an MLS and more than prepared me for ASCP board exam.”
Why do histology laboratories in need of HTs like UND?
- All courses delivered by UND faculty
- Site specific bench training
- UND directed curriculum helps structure training
- Distance education
- Develop talent in-house.
- Employer/employee commitments
- Laboratory staff gains mentor experience
Put our experience to work in your laboratory
Interested Histology Laboratories
To take advantage of this opportunity to let UND help your lab train local candidates, contact the UND HT Program, 1-800-CALL-UND Extension 4466.
Gainful Employment -
Thus far (to our knowledge), all students who have successfully completed a histotechnician certificate and have taken the corresponding ASCP BOC exam have passed. Gainful Employment Statistics -Histotechnician Certificate
NAACLS Accreditation Status
The Histotechnician Certificate Program at the University of North Dakota is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) at 5600 N River Road Suite 720, Rosemount, IL 60018.
HT Program Outcomes
|ASCP Board of Certification Pass Rate||100%||100%||88%|
|Graduate Placement Rate||82%||100%||100%|