- Areas of Research
- Grant Resources
- Research Centers
- Center for Comparative Effectiveness Analytics
- Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research (CHPPR)
- Center of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE)
- North Dakota IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE)
- Rural Health Reform Policy Research Center
- Seven Generations Center of Excellence in Native Behavioral Health
- Clinical Centers
- Service Centers
- Center for Rural Health
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Center
- Health Workforce Information Center (HWIC)
- Mobile Simulation (SIM-ND)
- National Resource Center on Native American Aging
- North Dakota Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
- North Dakota Tobacco Quitline
- Rural Assistance Center (RAC)
- Rural Surgery Support Program
- Simulation Center (ND STAR)
- About Us
- New Building
About Grants Management
Grants Management at the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences is responsible for the administration of extramural support received by the SMHS for research, public service and instructional programs. Administration consists of the following items:
Once a faculty member has made the decision to submit a proposal to an identified sponsor, Grants Management is available to assist in the financial aspects of the proposal submission. This includes providing consultation on preparing the budget, identifying potential problems in the financial administration of the proposed project, options for addressing those problems, identifying appropriate sources of cost share (all cost share is mandatory), and interpreting sponsor guidelines.
Proposal Review and Routing
All proposals for extramural support must be reviewed by Grants Management before they are signed by an authorized official of the University. Grants Management will provide DRAFT reviews upon request. After the Principal Investigator and department chairperson have signed the proposal, Grants Management will review and gather signatures from the Associate Dean for Research and the Dean. Upon completion of the SMHS signatures, Grants Management will bring the proposal to the UND Research Development & Compliance office in Twamley Hall for the final review and authorized signature.
The Grants Management office reviews all award documents for scope of work, cost, timing, or other financial considerations. While review is allowable, the Grants Management office is not allowed to negotiate the award document. A Grants & Contracts Officer from the University should be consulted and/or participate when a grant or contract is negotiated. The negotiation process is usually initiated by the potential sponsor.
Monitoring Existing Awards
Grants Management is responsible for monitoring currently funded sponsored projects at the SMHS. This includes assuring that costs are allowable, notification of any sponsored projects which are overdrawn or may be ending soon, assuring that employees are properly certifying to their effort, and assisting employees with re-budgeting, no-cost extensions, and project close-out.
Regularly scheduled Grant & Contract Training Sessions are available along with research brochures.