Preceptor(s): Marcus M. Fiechtner, MD
Sue K. Wink, MD
Period(s) offered and number of students per period: All periods (1 student per period)
Purpose: To provide education and experience in the care of patients requiring otolaryngology services.
Objectives: Following successful completion of this elective, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of common problems seen in an otorhinolaryngology practice.
2. Perform a complete otorhinolaryngological examination and basic optometric testing.
3. Identify anatomical landmarks.
4. Identify and manage common diseases of the ear, nose, throat and neck.
5. Discuss basic management of head and neck tumors.
Instructional Activities: During this elective, the student will be involved in/experience:
1. Examining patients in the outpatient department, emergency room and in the hospital.
2. Performing diagnostic techniques including the use of head mirror; the ear, nose, pharynx and larynx
exam; and performing and interpreting vestibular testing, tuning fork testing, and audiometric tests.
3. Preparing pre- and postoperative orders, and assisting the preceptor on patient rounds.
4. Participating in minor procedures including the use of laser, and assisting with surgical procedures in the
5. Reading assignments on relevant ENT, head and neck, and facial plastic topics.
Criteria for Grading: During and following this elective, the preceptor will:
Revised : December 2014