Mercy Medical Center-Williston
Preceptor(s): Wayne L. Anderson, MD
Period(s) offered and number of students per period: All periods (1 student per period)
Purpose: To provide education and experience in the care of patients requiring general surgery services.
Objectives: Following successful completion of this elective, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate basic operative principles and techniques, recognize surgically treated diseases and provide
care for the surgical patient.
2. Elicit relevant history of present illness, perform surgery focused physical examination, formulate a
working diagnosis, and correlate this working diagnosis with operative and pathological findings.
3. Demonstrate basic principles of surgical critical care.
4. Perform the ABCs of trauma care.
Instructional Activities: During this elective, the student will be involved in/experience:
4. Participating in outpatient surgical care.
Criteria for Grading: During and following this elective, the preceptor will:
2. Evaluate the studentŐs professionalism.
3. Evaluate by direct observation the quality of the studentŐs clinical and surgical skills.
4. Utilize the standardized UNDSMHS senior elective evaluation form.
Revised: December 2014