Quain and Ramstad Clinic/Med Center One
Douglas Renton MD
Period(s) offered: all
Number of students per period: 1
Purpose: To provide education and experience in the care of gastroenterology patients.
Objectives: Following successful completion of this elective, the student will be able to:
1. Perform histories and physical examinations for gastroenterology patients.
2. Interpret laboratory and histological findings of selected gastroenterology patients.
3. Interpret selected gastrointestinal images.
4. Develop an appropriate therapeutic plan for patients with various gastroenterological disorders
Instructional Activities: During this elective, the student will be involved in/experience:
1. Evaluation of selected gastroenterology patients.
2. Discussions with the preceptor of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract including: the gallbladder, liver, pancreas, and the small and large bowel.
3. Observation and participation in gastrointestinal endoscopic procedures (to include colonoscopy,
EGD, ERCP, capsule endoscopy), with a discussion of indications, techniques, and specific findings.
4. Case presentation and discussion of problems currently on the gastroenterology service.
Criteria for Grading: During and following this elective, the preceptor will:
1. Evaluate by direct observation the student’s ability to perform histories, physical examinations, and selected procedures on gastroenterology patients.
Evaluate by direct observation the student’s ability
to communicate in a
"360" complete and professional fashion.
3. Evaluate the student’s written notes including clinic notes, histories and physicals, and consultation notes.
4. Evaluate the student’s oral presentations and ability to appropriately summarize, develop differential diagnoses, and therapeutic plans for selected gastroenterology patients.
5. Evaluate by direct observation, the student’s knowledge of preceptor selected reading materials on gastroenterology patients.
6. Utilize the standardized UNDSMHS senior elective evaluation form.
Revised : November 2011